Breakfast is commonly skipped in our culture and it's also commonly said to be "the-most-important-meal-of-the-day." I choose to look at it as a time to wake up and work in the kitchen to prep my mind and body for the day. I found over the years that I have a craving for something savory in the morning. Yes, I know, savory doesn't accompany coffee extremely well, but what if you have your coffee after you eat in the morning? Listening to Dr. Aviva Romm, I learned that if you are going to drink coffee, drink it on a full stomach. In this case, your body has certain fats that's already triggering your metabolism and the acidity of the coffee isn't as detrimental on your digestive system. But that's really another topic for another post...
Wraps and open face sandwiches are popular in our house, for the sake of eating on the go or just a nice packaging to consume your veggies & eggs ;) Feel free to make your scramble with whatever vegetables and herbs are growing that season or what's in your kitchen in the morning... Here's a nice combination that I want to share with you:
TOFU EGG WRAP
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 bunch spinach/kale/dandelion greens
1/4 onion, chopped
1/2 cup tofu (optional)
1 TBSP. Avocado Oil &/OR Butter
4 eggs, scrambled
1/4 cup milk or cream
Pepper to taste
1. Heat large, heavy bottomed skillet on medium heat, add avocado oil or butter.
2. Once butter begins to foam or oil heats up, add onions, sauté until translucent and golden.
3. Add the mushrooms and tofu to the skillet, sauté for about 5-8 minutes, until mushrooms absorb butter/oil.
4. While mushrooms and tofu are cooking, whisk the eggs, yolks, and a good pinch of salt until combined. Add milk and greens.
5. Pour scrambled egg mixture over the sautéed veggies and tofu. Stir gently.
6. Continue stirring, folding up the cooked egg from the bottom of the pan until the eggs are nearly set with vegetables and tofu.
7. Put scramble on top of tortillas. Add herbal salt and pepper to taste. Place tortilla on the skillet (with heat turned off). Heat tortilla until soft.
8. Add avocado and optional hot sauce.
9. Enjoy this savory and filling breakfast!