Oh my, nettles! I have officially swapped to the "spring diet"; meaning dandelions, nettles, maple flowers and shoots, bittercress and whatever else emerges from the forest floor! The ability to walk into the forest and harvest fresh food for your morning meal is quite the empowering feeling. And I've realized that it's nice to mix the wild foods in with our everyday norms. So, here is a recipe of wild/norm fusion that is absolutely fantastic!
Egg & Nettle Rice
Handful of nettle
5 leaves of kale
2 garlic cloves
2 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 cup Brown Rice
1 Tbsp. Soy sauce
Optional: sauerkraut, avocado, sesame seeds
1. Cook rice.
2. Chop nettle and kale. Dice garlic.
3. Sauté garlic with olive oil. Once it begins to golden add the nettle and kale. Sauté until leaves break down and turn a rich green.
4. Once rice is cooked, combine the sautéed vegetables.
5. Cook egg as desired. I personally like sunny side up with runny yolk...
6. Add salt and pepper to your liking.
7. When serving put a little bit of soy sauce on top of the nettle rice and egg.
8. Serve with avocado, a spoonful of sauerkraut and a dash of sesame seed.